All you need after a long & tiring day at work is getting a massage to relax your body as well as mind. But even going to a massage parlor feels tiring, doesn’t it ? Here comes a massage chair as your solution.
Massage chairs are great at replicating different massaging techniques which can offer the same experience as you can get from a parlor. But for that you need the right massage chair.
Don’t worry, we are here for you. With proper research & testing we have come up with this list of Best massage chairs of 2020. Here is a list of 8 models you must check out.
This comprehensive buying guide and massage chair reviews will definitely help you to pick the right product for you.
Best Massage Chairs Comparison Chart:
|PRODUCT||PRICE||DIMENSIONS||NET WEIGHT||SPECIAL FEATURES|
|Kahuna Superior Massage Chair – SM-9000||$$$$$||55.5” x 30” x 48.5”||246.92 lbs||Acupressure Points / Zipper Covering / LED Light|
|Osaki OS-4000 Zero Gravity Massage Chair||$$$$||52” x 31” x 34”||255 lbs||Heated Massage / Zero Gravity / Remote Control|
|Relaxonchair MK-IV Zero Gravity Shiatsu Massage Chair||$$$$||55 x 30.5 x 47.3 inches||197 pounds||5 AUTO PROGRAMS / 3 STAGE ZERO GRAVITY TECHNOLOGY|
|Zero Gravity Full-Body Kahuna Massage Chair Recliner LM6800||$$$$||48 x 31 x 46 Inches||249Lb||4 roller massage system / 5 Manual Massage Techniques / 6 Auto Programs|
|Relaxonchair MK-II PLUS Massage Chair||$$$$||65” x 30” x 40”||183 lbs||Spinal Decompression / Beauty Hip Massager / Deep Tissue Massage|
|Ideal Massage Full Featured Shiatsu Chair||$$$||49” x 33” x 53”||200 lbs||Heated Massage / 3D Massage|
|Real Relax Full Body Massage Chair||$$||49” x 33” x 53”||136.6 lbs||Hip Massage / Foot Massage / Heated Massage|
|BestMassage® EC-06 Massage Chair||$||42” x 35” x 55”||185 lbs||Heated Massage / Compression And Percussion / Stretching Feature|
Best Massage Chair Reviews (Updated List)
This is a new advanced and luxurious Kahuna SM-9000 massage chair with Kahuna Signature Air Float 3D+ massage technology. With SL-track this chair has exclusiv 6 infrared heating rollers mechanism which is designed to massage from neck, buttocks and behind the upper thighs.
The Newest 6 infrared heating technology offers soothing relief sensation from back pain and the heat therapy helps to ease tensions and reduces stress too. Also, SM-9000 also has airbags that provide full body airbags massage and helps to loosen up the tensed muscles.
Product Special Features :
- Advanced Technology AIR FLOAT 3D+ : This advanced technology of massage chair on SL-Track system provides the ultimate custom and comfortable massage feel by following the curvature of a person’s spine to buttocks.
- Gentle and Silent Transitions : Kahuna SM-9000 is engineered to provide gentle and silent transitions while massaging with an uninterrupted experience. This also provides a very firm massage experience. The newly renovated technology of the chair allows peaceful and calm massages. This lets an individual enjoy the massage session with no interruption of sound.
- Infrared Heating Rollers : The most unique thing about this massage chair is the newly invented infrared heating rollers mechanism. This allows the heating to penetrate into muscle tissues and opens the blood vessels to have proper blood circulation. Allows proper blood flow from neck to the lower back . It soothes and stimulate and detox the physical body.
- Advanced Space Saving Technology : Advanced space saving technology compiled with ameliorated forward sliding mechanism which allows quiet transition from previous transition mechanisms.This requires the chair to be placed only 3 inches off from the wall.
- Suitable For All Body Types : Kahuna-SM 9000 can accommodate all Body types allowing any size person to fit up to 6ft 5 inches weight up to 320 lbs. And the seat and shoulder is 1 to 2 inches wider than standard massage chairs.
The Kahuna LM-6800 massage chair is an All-in-one full body massage chair which is very comfortable and easy to use too. This is a specially designed L-track frame structure with 4 rollers along with an air-cell massage system.
It effectively massages shoulders, arms, waist and hips. The L-track system of the chair is a shape of roller trail designed to support your neck to buttocks and this position decompresses each individual spine of the body and increases the effect of the massage.
Product Special Features :
- 6 Auto Programs : New design of Kahuna LM-6800 has a Airbag design with 6 auto programs, timer button upto 30 minutes, Double layer shoulder airbags and extra foot padding and remote holder included.
- Space Saving Technology : The space saving technology only requires 3 inches from the ground. This technology helps an user to experience a decent and comforting massage session.
- Smart Body Scan Technology : This technology scans your body to detect body size and provide a custom fit massage. It also includes yoga stretching programs for full body stretching, dual foot rollers for feet area.
- Best Warranty Service : This has the best warranty service for online massage chair companies. Kahuna LM-6800 comes with a 3 years warranty with an easy registration & service. The warranty is offered for different parts like labor and structural framework of the chair. This chair branf promises it to get repaired completely. First year covers all parts and labor cost and customers do not have to pay during the first year.
- FDA Registered Medical Device : This massage chair is registered as a Medical device by the FDA. Footer area has dual foot rollers and detachable & washable footer area cotton for sanitary purposes.
If you are looking for a good value at a reasonable price then a Relaxonchair MK-II Plus massage chair is the best option for you. This chair features top quality components and has several features same as of the top tier chairs. The ones that are twice its price.
With zero gravity mode this chair also offers a good immersion sensation. The rollers and airbags of the chair help to warm up your arm, back and leg muscles.
Product Special Features :
- Ultra Automatic Zero Gravity Multifunction Massage Chair : Zero gravity feature helps to elevate your legs to the same level as your heart. It minimizes strain on the vertebrae and relieves back pain.
- Quality & Innovation: Relaxonxhair is manufactured by top quality soft grained synthetic leather to enhance user experience with light weight and easily mobile massage chair.
- Buttlock L-Tracking Massage System : The rollers present in the chair glides from upper back all the way down under the seat. It provides a full body massage.
- Computerized Body Scanning : The computerized body scanning automatically measures the length of the spine and knows where to massage with the help of built in sensors.
- Deep Tissue Massage & Full Body Stretching : Human-like massage is provided with this massage chair. The full body stretching is referred to as “spinal decompression”. The chair moves you in a calculated routine which slowly stretches leg and back muscles.
- Lower Back Heating : 2 Heating pads are present in the lower back area for enhanced massage experience.
- Arm Massager : Two airbags are provided for perfect forearm massage.
- Calf & Foot Massage : For feet, multiple airbags are present on the sides and back of the legs which inflate for compression massage with bottom spinning roller.
- Full Size Remote Controller : This chair comes with a full sized remote controller. Large screen is provided to easily visualize the functions that are activated at the current moment.
Ideal Massage Shiatsu chair is one of the most affordable L-track massage chairs. The full body massage will melt your stress away with rich, relaxing and therapeutic massage from top to bottom.
This zero gravity chair also has built in heat in the lower back. Also this chair comes with a 5 year warranty on the steel frame and 3 years on the electronic parts.
Product Special Features :
- Smart 3D Massage Chair : This smart 3d massage chair comes with auto height detection technology. You just need to lay back and smart 3D scan will customize the massage according to user’s height. This makes sure each customer gets a personalized massage experience.
- 10 Incredible Massage Programs : Ideal S L-track zero gravity massage chair has one of the longest tracks among other options. It comes with 10 incredible massage programs like Full body Stretch, Swing, Full body massage, Relax and many more.
- 6 Different Massage Techniques : Kneading, Tapping, Shiatsu Massage, Knocking, Combo Kneading/Tapping and Rolling makes this massage chair the best one available.
Smart 3D Massage Chair With Auto Height Detection: You can just lay back and the smart 3D scan will customize massage as per user’s height. And it has 3 zero gravity positions to choose from.
- Rolling Foot Massage : Electronic rollers present under the foot sooth and massage your aching feet. The Calf acupressure feature helps to relieve daily strain to the area and revitalize your legs.
- Durability & Noise Reduction : Air acupressure massage with latest mulchambered air bags provides high durability, noise reduction and effective massage. It provides relief to hands and arms with the multi-purpose massaging dual zone airbags.
The Real Relax massage chair is one of the cheapest products that is included in our list. This chair comes with multiple features and massage techniques that promises an enjoyable massage experience to every user.
Even with the cheap price, the chair comes with great zero gravity features.
Product Special Features :
- Full Body Pain Relief : 8 massage neck back waist rollers, 50 airbags placed at shoulder, arms, hip, foot offers pain relief just as a stressed user needs. Lower body heating and foot roller massage provides full body pain relief.
- Real Relax : The massage chair has one button zero-gravity design that feels virtually weightless. It has added bluetooth speakers for entertainment and helps to relax in physical & spiritual ways.
- Customize Manual Massage : Real relax body massage chair offers to customize manual massage to the user. A remote can be used to set rollers and airbags massage specific body parts. It comes with 3 levels of speed and strength with adjustable backrest.
- Easy To Assemble : Comes with 2 boxes and is very easy to assemble without any trouble. Timer is upto 30 minutes with height limit 6.1 foot and weight limit 400 pounds.
- Back Heating : The chair has a built-in waist heater which promotes blood flow in the tensed back of the user. It relieves back pain and releases the tension in the muscles.
BestMassage EC-06 massage chair has an updated design, functions and great features like Ultra-long range
massage, Fatigue relieve air massage, Adjustable air massage, Recline and more added massage features. The massage session can last up to 30 minutes which can be customized as per what the user desires.
Product Special Features :
- Adjustable Massage Chair : The angle of this chair can be adjusted as per your needs. It comes with 3 levels of Speed control, width control and width control. Air massage has 4 levels where four massage points work together with other areas to provide a complete relaxing massage. Easy to massage Neck, shoulder, waist, back, leg and foot massage with heating.
- Air Massage System with Heat Therapy : BestMassage chair comes with a total 21 airbags strategically located in the arms, hips, shoulder, thighs, calves, and feet. The heat therapy system helps to recover your muscles and joints with increased blood circulation and reduces pain. Air bags are present for your hip and your waistline that inflates for compression massage to align the lower back and pelvis area.
- Computerized Body Scanning : Smart body scan technology scans your body to detect your body type and size for individual custom fit massage. Built-in sensors help to measure the length of the spine to provide a perfect massage. 11 signal tset switch hilt sensors work together to test height of the user for comfortable massage experience.
- Functional Diversity : Chair comes with 7 massage modes; kneading, tapping, stretching, shiatsu, combo, air pressure and heating. 9 preset auto massage programs ensure the best massage experience for every user. This also includes special stretching programs for the full body.
The Osaki Os-4000 massage chair comes with zero gravity feature and a control panel to handle it perfectly.
It also features beautifully updated upholstery, a 30 inch roller stroke, body scan technology, S-track massage robot, air massage and many more. The chair used 3D scan technology to provide a perfect comfortable massage experience.
Product Special Features :
- Computer Body Scan System : This latest technology allows the rollers to map the curvature of the back with accuracy which helps to give a perfect massage to the user. It offers massages at points where it’s needed most.
- True Ergonomic S-Track : OS-4000 is ergonomically to contour a variety of spine shapes. So it can give a comfortable massage to every user having different body shape & structure.
- Airbag Massage : This massage chair comes with airbag massage located at different body parts like Foot and calf massage, Hip and Lumbar Squeeze and Shoulder airbag massage.
- Lower Back Heat Therapy : To ease the pressure in lower back, 2 heating pads are provided at one on each side in the lumbar area. This heat therapy is very helpful to relieve lower back pressure.
- Wireless Controller : Along with a full size remote control this chair also has a wireless controller. This allows you to control the main features of the chair without having to reach the main remote when you are resting on the chair.
- Auto Leg Scan : The calf and foot massager available in this chair can automatically adjust according to each individual’s leg length. This saves a lot of time wasted in doing it manually.
What Are The Benefits Of A Massage Chair
Having a massage chair at home can be useful in many ways. These chairs are specially designed to improve blood circulation in various body parts and stretch muscles to release unwanted tension. It works as a perfect tool to relax back, legs, neck, etc after a tiring day.
What Are The Benefits Of Getting a Massage?
Massages have been a great technique to relieve back pain since ancient times. And the society that we are living in demands us to be in a sitting position than standing. This is where massage comes to the rescue.
As many of us are working multiple hours a day in the same posture, there is risk of posture problems that we might suffer from. So many people are dealing with postural stress due to the same reason. And you might be experiencing some pain in your neck and back for the same reason too.
The lower back and glutes are the highly susceptible areas to the postural stress. These areas are where the most amount of pain is felt and you can even feel it by pressing your knuckles against it. This weakness and unbearable pain are caused due to prolonged sitting at work or school or even at home. So you must be careful to not be in the same position for long hours.
But don’t panic yet. Massages can definitely relieve your muscle pain and ease the pain. They help to increase the blood flow in the body and stretch the tight muscles to relieve pain. Scientific studies have shown that massage therapy is just good as other methods of treating back pain like using drugs and complicated medical processes.
Massage will not only improve your bad posture but also help you to have a proper sleep. It promotes relaxation of muscles which also reduces mental stress level. As many of us struggle with quality sleep, a massage can definitely help to have a comfortable rest. Have you ever noticed mothers massaging newborn babies to make them sleep? Yeah, if your body is relaxed after a massage you will want to sleep.
What Are The Benefits Of Having A Massage Chair?
Now you know how powerful massages can be and their amazing benefits, let’s see what makes massage chairs special.
- 24/7 Massage : With a human professional you need to schedule appointments for massage sessions. But if you have a massage chair then you can get a massage whenever you wish. Whether you want to have it in the morning or night, it will always be there for you.
- Multiple Massage Techniques : Most massage chairs come with multiple massage techniques. And the more techniques the better it is. Multiple techniques will help to choose the perfect one easily.
- Increased Comfort : You don’t have to go out to take a massage when you have a massage chair in your room. It increases comfort and avoids wastage of time of going out.
- Lower Back Relief : These massage chairs have special features that reduce lower back pain. Some of the chairs have airbags and rollers to give you the best massage experience and help relieve lower back pain.
- Good Investment : The massage chairs might look costly to you at first but they are definitely worth the price. They are very durable and most of them come with reliable & longer warranty. Most importantly, a massage chair always costs less than regular visits to the professionals.
- Foot Massages : These chairs come with mean foot massage features. And some massage chairs come with adaptable foot massagers and personalize massage experience.
- Muscle Stretch : A massage chair can stretch tensed muscles in the best way possible. Some even have features that stretch your muscles just like a yoga session would do.
- Spinal Relief : Some massage chairs use specific techniques to track your spine and target muscles near it for added relief. This reduces back pain as well as stretches vertebrae to provide spinal relief.
- Relaxing : To relax is what we all want to do after a long day at work, don’t we? What a perfect way it would be to relax on a massage chair that helps you to release all the stress from the back, neck and your mind too.
A Complete Buying Guide For Massage Chairs
Finding a best massage chair is not rocket science as you might think. You don’t have to worry about it as we are here to help you choose the perfect chair as per your needs.
A. Questions You Need To Ask Yourself Before Buying A Massage Chair
Before buying something new it is important to research about the product to choose the perfect one. So ask the following questions to yourself before buying a massage chair.
- Consider Your Available Space : Massage chairs are great but big in size as well. The smallest chair is equal to the size of an armchair. So, you must make sure you have enough space to accommodate the chair. Also, don’t assume that the folding massage chairs take less space. They actually require much more space than the normal ones. You will need clearance of 3” at least for some models.
- Will The Massage Chair Fit Me : Massage chairs come in different shapes and sizes. But most of them are customizable enough to be suitable for tall and short people. But there can be few exceptions. As some chairs won’t fit short users while some won’t fit tall users.
- What Type Of Massage Do You Need : Massage chairs offer so many types of massage. Few users might want to have all of them in a chair and enjoy it. But not all are important to every user. You might also have a therapeutic indication for a certain type of massage. Here is a list of different types of massage you’ll get in a massage chair.
- Kneading -This technique involves the compression of soft tissues against each other or against underlying bones. This technique is recommended for pain relief, releasing tension from tight muscles and increasing the flexibility.
- Tapping – It is a percussive massage technique designed to stimulate the muscles. It stimulates the pounding and striking actions a professional would apply with his or her fists/hands. This technique helps to increase blood circulation in specific body parts and increases the local temperature with elasticity.
- Rolling – Rolling is a massage technique that involves the lift and roll of the skin between a professional’s fingers and thumbs. In massage chairs this technique is stimulated with the help of rollers. These rollers are used to treat muscular tension, loosen the skin and produce a relaxing effect.
- Shiatsu – Shiatsu is one of the most popular massage techniques, it is applied with the help of hands, palms and fingers at certain stress points. This creates relaxation in the body and also improves blood circulation. Shiatsu is performed by the rollers and airbags.
- Special Techniques – Manufacturers often try to get attention by including special techniques with their product. These techniques differ from product to product but here are some popular ones: heated massage, reflexology, spinal relief, yoga, muscle stretch and much more.
Now you might be confused to decide which techniques will work for you, especially if you don’t have any experience of using massage chairs.
In such a situation just go for a chair that has more techniques. This is easy to find what works best for you. You might also want to consider the products that come with special features such as yoga, muscle stretch or spinal relief.
- Brand – There are multiple brands producing these massage chairs. Some brands have been producing similar units for years while some have just started coming up with what’s relevant in the market. But when you choose the massage chair for you, don’t choose it on the basis of it’s brand. The only thing you need to look at is for their customer support & service. Finding a brand which stays loyal to warranty period and provides repair without any chaos is the one you need to go for.
- Budget – Before you start looking for a massage chair you need to decide your budget first. Price differences are often large so you shouldn’t waste time over an expensive product that you can’t afford. The price of a massage chair is determined by the chair’s quality and capability. Expensive chairs are the ones with extra features, techniques and better in design.
- Warranty – Massage chairs come with warranties which vary for every product. The shortest warranty period is 1 while longest is 5. And most of the manufacturers support the repairing cost in the first year, just that of parts in second and the frame integrity in third year. It’s important to check whether a company follows their warranty policies or not. Unfortunately many don’t, hence you must confirm it from the product reviews section.
B. What Features Are Important To Consider When Buying a Massage Chair?
Now that you have decided to buy a massage chair for you, let’s look at all the important features that define how a model works and its efficiency.
- Massage Power – The power of the massage is a very important factor to know how much you are going to enjoy the massaging experience. Some people might prefer soft massage while some prefer rough ones. But unfortunately there’s no way to determine the amount of massage power of a chair. The only way you can know about the power of a massage chair is from users that have used these chairs. But it is never enough as some people might find the same chair softer and others as rougher. To find a model with power just as you want, go for the one with adjustable intensity. More intensity levels is always better. This also ensures that your family members will enjoy the chair as well.
- Massage Rollers – The high end massage chairs often use rollers to provide a comfortable and relaxing experience. These rollers are used to simulate the movement of human hands. These rollers move upward, downward, right and left of back to reduce back pain & release pressure in muscles. The action of rollers helps to relax and increases blood circulation in the back.
- Heat Massage – Heat massage is a great way to thoroughly massage your body. Heated pads or infrared rollers in the massage chair generate heat against your back. This heat relaxes your stressed body parts and increases local blood flow. Every massage chair has a different way of giving heat massages. Most of them use heated pads located in the lower back as it is one of the most sensitive areas of the body. Other models use the same pads but for heated massage to your feet and give you an unforgettable experience. High-end massage chairs use infrared rollers for heated massage. These rollers cover the whole area of your back from your neck to the buttocks. And this ensures a comfortable experience.
- Body Scan Technology – Body scan technology is one of the best features available in massage chairs, it scans the user’s body and helps to customize massage experience for every user. This special technology uses sensors to calculate the curvature of your spine and other physical aspects, and this how it customizes massage perfect to your build. The reason why this is a great feature is because it allows an user to experience a personalized massage every time. If you are short then you won’t have the shoulder air cells beating your neck area and in case you are tall you won’t have them working on your back instead of shoulders.
- Air Compression Massage – Most of the massage chairs come with this feature. It uses airbags to enhance the massage experience. These airbags’ alternative compression and decompression will push against your muscles, massaging them. This feature can be used for every area of the body. Most massage chairs have airbags at your neck, shoulder, arms,hips, back and feet. A massage chair having more airbags always gives better experience. And for most chairs, you will be able to change the intensity of airbags as you like.
Vibration Massage – The high end massage chairs are designed to reach all the way till your buttocks while the low end can only reach as far as your lower back. These models use vibrational chairs to massage your legs & buttocks.
Zero Gravity – This feature is usually available in high-end models. When you use this feature, the chair will recline and place your body at a certain position where it doesn’t have to sustain its own weight, just like zero gravity in space. This great feature allows your vertebrae to relax and enjoy the massage experience. Some massage chairs come with multiple zero gravity zone positions. The final stage lifts your legs to height similar to the heart. This allows your heart to relax and work efficiently as it won’t have to push blood to your legs. As your weight is distributed on the massage chair, this feature seems even better. And since your whole weight will be against the chair you’ll have a great feel with rollers and airbags action.
3D Massages – 3D massage offers more depth than usual massage. This is often provided by high-end massage chairs by combination of rollers and airbags. These airbags fill with air to cover your whole body. And once it is locked in a place by the airbags, rollers start to massage your back & neck. This amazing feature provides an immersive feeling to the massage. Also, this type of massages are more enjoyable than others.
Recline – Lower-end massage chairs have a recline mode instead of zero-gravity mode. The difference is that your body-weight won’t be supported entirely by the chair when you are using the recliner function. Your legs won’t be raised at a height of your heart. Even though this feature is not good as the previous one, it can still give you a comfortable experience. With this feature you can recline on the chair, turn on the TV and watch your favourite Tv shows while your back will be getting a massage.
Muscle Stretch Massage – Multiple massage chairs offer this feature. The same feature is called yoga, muscle stretch or simple stretch, yet works in a similar way. They use compression massage to warm up the muscles and stretch them later. You have no idea how much your back,legs and arms can stretch when you use the muscle stretch feature. This is a great tool to use before or after workout to massage your sore or tight muscles. And can be helpful to recover from injuries.
Spinal Stretch – This feature comes with high-end models. Same features have different names but all of them work in a similar way. With this your back get stretched to get pressure against your vertebrae diminished. Then muscles around your spine are massaged to relieve the pain. This proves very beneficial for people with spinal pain, and the zero gravity feature enhances the experience.
Acupressure Points – Acupressure points are used by some chairs to enhance the massage. This produces a gripping feeling, so the massage seems more realistic just like a professional would provide.
Additional Massage Features – These additional features may not seem that great at first but shouldn’t be overlooked. These features target the head, arms or legs of the user.
Foot Massages – Foot massages work great for people who are always standing, they actually need this most. Especially after a tiring day at work getting calves and feet massaged is such a bliss. Most of the massage chairs have this feature. Different massage chairs used different foot massages. Some chairs use only airbags to massage calves and feet while some use rollers for your feet and airbags for calves. Also, some of them use rotating discs for your feet and others might use heating techniques.
Arm Massage – Arm massages are very relaxing. Most massage chairs use air compression for arm massages. Some come with special pockets that holds your arm while the airbags compress the muscles. While other chairs massage arms with your arms resting on armrests.
Head Massages – Many of the massage chairs offer neck massage but very few have head massage features. This feature targets the side of your head and provides a relaxing feel.
Hip Massage – Airbags in most chairs are situated around the hip are but some massage chairs come with specific features targeting the hips. These features are meant to target hip muscles, reduce pain by compressing muscles with the airbags. One feature is present which aligns your hip to spine.
Predefined Programs – The massage chair having more predefined programs to choose from is always preferable. These programs use a combination of different massage techniques and features to ensure a great experience. Mostly all of the programs are designed with some purpose. Some will compress muscles, some will stretch and others will only caress softly.
Manual Control – The massage chairs with predefined programs are great but you can also go for a manually controllable chair. With this chair you can create your own massage sessions, including the techniques and features you love. You can also adjust the speed and intensity levels.
Massage Chair Material – Most massage chairs are made up of faux leather, even the high-end ones. Because real leather can’t handle the pressure of airbags and rollers. The difference between high-end and low-end models is the quality of the leather used on them. The expensive chairs use thicker leather than cheaper once, hence are more durable.
LED Lights – LED lights in the massage chair can provide a fun & enjoyable experience to its users. If you wish to get maximum benefit from immersive massage experience, then you must turn off all the electronics in the room, turn on the LED lights and enjoy the massage. These lights will light up your room and you can have a fun experience.
Easy Accessibility – The massage chair’s accessibility is determined by its control panel. Massage chairs must be always easy to program and use, but some manufacturers can do the opposite. So, the models with easy to read control panels are easy to use and very user-friendly.
Remote Control – Remote control of massage chairs are there to increase accessibility. This remote can be used to choose massage technique, feature, reduce or increase massage intensity and speed and turn on or turn off the chair.
Cup Holder – A Cup holder can be very useful while using a massage chair even if you think it won’t be. You can store cups, your glasses or even the remote control in the holder and enjoy the massage.
Bluetooth Compatibility – The High-end models have the feature of built-in bluetooth adapters. These adapters will allow you to connect with any bluetooth-compatible streaming devices and pair with the chair. And once successful pairing is done, you can listen to songs or podcast through chair’s speakers.
Silent Operation – Massage chairs are very bulky in size and can make loud noise while they are being operated by an user. Having a massage chair with silent operation can be used even when your family members are sleeping or studying. You won’t disturb anyone.
Portability – Some massage chairs are portable and come with casters. They weigh less and with the help of casters they can be moved easily. These chairs are very easy to move from one room to another.
After reading this, you are familiar with the features of massage chairs, you can pick the ones that are beneficial for your needs. This detailed list can help you choose the best model for you.
How Do Massage Chairs Work ?
Massage chairs are around for a few decades and they are not a novelty. Yes, later technological advancements have been made for adding comfort but they still work the same as the old models.
In the US massage chairs are often considered as a luxury item for households, but in Japan, according to some estimates, there are more than 1 in every 5 households.
Yes, massage chairs are relaxing and comfortable, but how do they actually work ?
Most modern massage chairs include motors, gears, vibrating mechanisms and rollers to provide the best massage. The principles used in today’s chairs are similar to the first models, the latest ones are more sophisticated due to technological advancements.
No two massage chairs models can be identical as manufacturers use different designs for their products. But some technologies apply to most models.
Now even the latest models are different from each other. The simplest massage chairs use a straightforward approach to massages. These chairs use multiple vibrating surfaces to massage back and legs. To create necessary vibration, the manufacturer uses small devices with weighted gear or wheel.
This weight is not properly centered on the wheel or gear, that is why it is slightly unbalanced. Whenever the motor rotates the gear rapidly, the rotation creates vibration.
The vibrating surface always uses at least one gear to produce the vibration or sometimes even more. The manufacturers need to design the chairs very carefully, otherwise a bad chair can produce unpleasant sensations, similar to an earthquake.
If you are ready to spend more on a massage chair, you must be going for the one with rollers. The rollers in the massage chair simulate the actions of a human hand and they are powered by electric motors. They move in patterns which are determined by the structural frame of the chair.
Some of these rollers have limited motion like only in upward and downward direction on the back.
But the rollers mounted on the mechanical arm have a wider range of motion.
They are able to move right or left and even rotate as per the model. A Microprocessor can record the patterns of the mechanical arm, later you can choose from predefined movement as you want.
The intensity of The Massage Motion
Apart from vibration and rollers, the complex massage chairs come with different massage intensities for a customizable experience.
To adjust the intensity, manufacturers either allow the chairs to change how far the rollers move away from its frame, or they mount the frame on a pivot so the frame itself moves away from the user.
Nowadays, most massage chairs are recliners which are designed in a way to perform in multiple positions. To achieve this, a manufacturer can either install a motorized reclining system that will change the position of the chair with a push button, or a lever can be installed that will allow an user to change the position manually by pulling the lever and pushing it against the backrest.
Air Compression Massage Chair
Air compression massage is one of the most popular features in recent times. This feature uses multiple airbags to squeeze your body parts like arms, legs, hips and shoulders. But how it is achieved by massage chairs ?
For this they use a small air compressor hidden inside the chair. This compressor connects to each airbag using a series of tubes and pipes.
High-end chairs come with a switch that can open and close curtain airbags without interacting with others. While other models use several compressors, each for a set of airbags.
The chair is connected to the compressor using built-in processor, and it tells when each set of airbags has to be activated. Airbags are often used as supplemental massage devices but not as primary ones.
Types of Massage Techniques
As you already know, the complex massage chairs offer multiple techniques, but how do they actually perform them ?
- Rolling – The rollers in the chair go up and down. In some chairs, they move sideways as well. While other models use airbags or combinations of airbags and rollers to perform this technique.
- Kneading – In kneading, the rollers make circular patterns to perform the massage. Some models inflate or deflate the airbags slowly to simulate this kneading massage.
- Tapping – Tapping involves rollers which push in against your back, then they push out. This is done exactly like a ‘Karate chop’ technique by a professional masseur. This technique can also be done by inflating or deflating airbags.
- Shiatsu – Here the rollers push against certain sensitive points on the back. This type of massage helps to relieve tension.
- Gripping – In this technique the airbags are used to grip your arms and legs and then release them. The alternative inflation and deflation of airbags produces the massage.
Now that we have talked about all the components, let’s quickly look at how a chair operates.
Pre-Programmed Massage Sessions
Many models come with predefined lists of massage sessions. It’s so easy to just sit on a chair, select your favourite session and enjoy it.
To select a session you can either use the control panel or a remote control. Mostly no one will turn on the chair without sitting on it, so most manufacturers provide wired remote instead of wireless ones.
All the information about massage sessions is stored by a Microprocessor. Whenever you make a choice, the microprocessor sends a message to every component involved in the massage.
You won’t be able to change the message patterns but you will still be able to adjust the massage’s intensity and speed.
This change in massage intensity and speed is sent to the moving parts to make them work perfectly.
Body Scanning Function
You will always notice the High-end models with a body scan feature.
This body scanner is made up of multiple infrared sensors which detect the body parts which are in the contact of the chair.
The sensor helps the microprocessor to know which of them is activated, and then the microprocessor makes few changes in the technique according to an user’s body weight and height.
By scanning the user’s body, the chair makes sure it activates the active parts that massage the user to ensure comfortable experience.
So whenever you sit on the massage chair for a session, don’t forget to appreciate how much technology is involved in it.
How Often Should You Use a Massage Chair
An amazing thing about the massage chairs is they are always available for a massage session. And it doesn’t require you to leave the house, make appointments or spend money to get the massage.
If you’re confused about how often you should use a massage chair then hear this out : You must use quite often as possible. Every massage session is beneficial for your body and multiple sessions a week can help to recover pain and tension in the body.
But that doesn’t mean you need to use it too much. To effectively and safely use the massage chair make sure you follow all the necessary guidelines.
Massage Chairs for Pain Relief
Millions of people around the globe suffer from lower back pain or shoulder and neck pain, and if you are one of them then go for 3-4 sessions per week with your chair.
Also make sure that you aren’t rushing too much. Stay patient, your chair won’t leave you. Check out the top rated massagers for neck and shoulders here.
You should make adjustments in the chair according to your last massage experience.
It is always better to start your week slow and slowly work your way up instead of ending up with sore muscles.
Find a balance between feeling a deep muscle relief and feeling you’re at your physical best.
Massage Chairs for Optimal Relaxation
If you’re someone who’s not looking for deep muscle relief, and all you want is to get rid of the stress and relax, just use the massage chair whenever you feel your stress levels climbing high.
Most people who have experience of getting a massage from a professional masseur would most likely attend 1-3 sessions per week. But with a massage chair you can take as many massages you wish. But don’t hurt your muscles.
To achieve a relaxing experience of a massage chair, get it done after work or before bedtime to get a peaceful sleep.
Overusing A Massage Chair
Even though massage chairs have multiple benefits, you shouldn’t use it for too long. Because just like other things, massages also can be harmful if overdone. Too long massage sessions can be very harmful.
But how long is actually too long ? According to experts, a normal and safe massage should last for 15 minutes. You can achieve all the benefits of a massage chair in this duration.
Many people might have a misconception that longer massage can relieve more pain, but it is not true. Any massage session longer than 15 minutes can cause bruising of the muscles, especially if you are a beginner with the chair. This can also lead to inflammation and damage to other tissues.
Massage chairs usually come with an automatic timer to make sure a massage session doesn’t exceed the limit of 15 minutes. Some of them use predefined programs that will stop after the time limit, and others won’t allow an user to create a longer session.
If your massage chair gives you longer massage, set an alarm to ensure you stop it at the right time. This is very important if you prefer recliner mode as you might fall asleep in this position.
After a 15 minute massage session you must get up from the chair and move around the room for a few minutes. Even a mild physical activity will do.
This physical activity helps to remove toxins produced in your body during the massage. For the toxin removal process, experts suggest drinking plenty of water after the massage.
Pregnancy And Massage Chairs
Pregnancy can be uncomfortable which can lead to pain in the lower back area. You can use a massage chair during this period.
Many manufacturers recommend that pregnant women should not use massage chairs. Their reason is that a massage chair can simulate some pressure points which can cause premature labor. However, there is no proof to support this.
In pregnancy, the baby is wrapped in many layers which includes muscle and fluid. These layers do a great job at keeping the baby cushioned against the outside world. Getting a regular massage or massage chair are not that different.
Also, there is no proof that the chair’s electromagnetic fields are dangerous to the mother or baby.
Are Massage Chairs Safe To Use While Pregnant ?
Massage chairs are mostly safe for pregnant women yet you must consult a professional or birth care provider. But if you are someone with a high-risk pregnancy or some other medical issues then you might not be able to use a massage chair.
Massage works great on reducing stress levels and relaxing tense muscles during pregnancy. The vibrating massage chairs helps to alleviate your lower back pain and cramps by improving blood circulation. The vibrations are also helpful to the baby. Actually they use less movement that your body would produce while walking.
Do keep in mind that doctors might advise you to not use massage chair during the first trimester of the pregnancy as its when the danger of miscarriage is higher.
And when you choose to use a massage chair while being pregnant make sure it doesn’t exceed 15 minutes as it might bruise your muscles.
Also, you should not try to squeeze into a massage chair if your belly is too big to fit in.
Massage Chair Features To Avoid While Pregnant
Yes, the massage chairs are safe for pregnant women but there are few features you must avoid during such times.
- Heated Massage – As we have seen earlier heated massage is provided by infrared rollers and heated pads together. You might assume this as a beneficial feature to increase comfort but it can harm baby’s safety. Heated massage can increase your body temperature which in turn can spike your baby’s heart rate which can lead to cardiovascular diseases.
- Pressure Points (Shiatsu Massage) – This Shiatsu massage is targeted at special pressure points in your body. And excess of pressing these points can lead to premature labor. The chances of massage chairs triggering pressure points and leading premature labor are very less, still it’s better to avoid the feature completely.
When Should You Avoid Massage Chairs During Pregnancy
Massage chairs are considered as a safe tool for most women but not for all of them. The pregnant women should avoid using a massage chair in following conditions:
- High-risk Pregnancy
- Swelling or Severe Headaches
- History of pre-term labor
Benefits Of Using Massage Chairs During Pregnancy
Every woman who is or has been pregnant before will agree that a massage can be very useful during such time. Here is a list of benefits achieved while being pregnant.
Eases Back and Leg Pain – Lower back pain is very common among pregnant women. The enlarged uterus of a woman can take so much of space and put more pressure on the body. A massage session can definitely reduce the pain and make you relaxed.
Lowers Your Stress Levels – Pregnancy is a very stressful period. Your body goes through considerable changes, and hormones will act weirdly on you. This can lead to mental health issues like Anxiety and Depression. However, a good massage can lower your stress levels and make you feel comfortable.
Eases Your Labor – Prenatal labor therapy helps to shorter labor and it reduces the chances of postnatal depression. This can be proved as a big advantage.
Where Would You Put The Massage Chair?
Your answer to the above question might be, “In front of TV/Computer”, right ? Don’t worry there is no ideal place to put the massage chair. Most people buy the massage chair and place it in front of the Television, but that doesn’t mean it’s the best approach.
In fact according to some specialists, it is suggested to place the massage chair in a room where there is no TV or media streaming, such as your bedroom or office. Because using the massage chair in a quiet environment can help you to listen to your inner voice.
Few massage chairs come with very attractive features like LED lights that can help you enjoy the massage more. These lights change their color during the massage session and lighten up the room. It is a very enjoyable experience for every user.
Whether you choose to place your massage chair in front of the TV or in your bedroom, here are few things you must keep in your mind
- Reclining Massage Chairs Need Clearance – You must make sure that the clearance the massage chair needs before placing it somewhere. Because without the necessary clearance the massage chair won’t be able to recline properly. This is true for all types of models, even the ones with zero-gravity features.
- Massage Chairs Need Their Own Outlet – Massage chairs consume a lot of power, so they need their own power outlet. If you intend you use an extension cord for the same then make sure you use a heavy-duty one.
- The Massage Chair Shouldn’t Stay In Direct Sunlight – Getting a massage in the sunlight can feel like a rejuvenating experience but it is not preferable at all. Massage chairs should never be placed in direct sunlight. Long duration of exposure can cause the upholstery to deteriorate and produce cracks.
How To Clean Your Massage Chair
Massage chairs usually come with durable upholstery, still you will need to clean them properly from time to time. We have mentioned a few tips to clean your massage chair below, if you follow them you’ll no longer have to worry about your chair getting worn out or damaged.
- Use Gentle Cleaning Agents – As we all know that most massage chairs use faux leather for their covers. This is a durable leather but you shouldn’t use powerful cleaning agents against it.
- Don’t Drip Cleaning Agents On The Moving Parts – The cleaning agents should never be applied in the proximity of the moving parts. And if you don’t have to do so make sure that it doesn’t reach the mechanical parts. Otherwise it may result in malfunction.
- Clean The Contact Areas – It is recommended to clean the chair from time to time, yet you should make a routine of frequently cleaning the areas which often come in contact.
Remove The Upholstery When Possible – This removal allows you to clean easily.
- Use A Damp Cloth – Using cleaning agents all the time you want to clean the chair is not recommended. Instead you can use a damp cloth to regularly clean and with cleaning agents once in a while.
- Mind The Details – The nooks and crannies must be carefully cleaned, so always make sure they don’t contain any dirt or hair.
- Use Spray Bottles – The Spray bottles can be used to disperse the cleaning agent over a larger surface of the chair. This allows the upholstery to dry quickly after cleaning.
- Never Put A Wet Upholstery On The Chair – Never put a wet upholstery on the chair, it can be harmful. Allow it dry first as a wet upholstery might cause permanent damage to the chair.
Also, don’t forget to check out these amazing reasons why buying a massage cushion is a great idea.
Do you want to know how to choose a wireless tens unit ? Our wireless tens unit buying guide is made just for you to tell you what to look for when it comes to selecting the best one as per your needs.
Massage chairs are a great tool that reduces your stress levels and relieves back pain. They are not cheap but they are definitely worth their price due to the amazing benefits.
You might have noticed, many models are of similar price. So to make sure you get the best massage chair for the money you spend, verify all it’s features and choose the one that fulfils all your needs.
Always remember, don’t buy a model just because it looks better than others. When it comes to buying massage chairs, always consider the features before any other aspects.
You can go through the best features of massage chairs in our detailed guide of best massage chairs review you can read here.